Wednesday, July 28, 2010

First Impressions, part 2

This place rains a lot. It hasn't stopped raining since I arrived last night. Sometimes, it'd be drizzling; sometimes, it'd be pouring. No matter what, however, the humidity doesn't seem to fade. It's actually not crazy hot outside: only around 80 degrees. Normally, I would not turn on the air conditioning in that type of temperature. However, I tried to leave the air conditioning off in my apartment - the humidity became unbearable after just an hour. Everything felt sticky and damp. Even right after a downpour, the humidity would not dissapate. I'm beginning to worry what this place feels like under the sun with all the humidity...

Another thing I have noticed here in Hong Kong - everything Japanese is good and expensive. Seriously. Half the things I saw in drugstores and groceries stores were purely Japanese with no English or Chinese characters. I have no idea how anyone even knows what they are or how to use them. They are also priced much higher than its counterparty American and Chinese brands. I always thought the Chinese had an infuctuation with its western brands from Europe and America, but it seems like Japan is really the big dogs in the house.

One inconvienent thing I have discovered about Hong Kong is that everything is made with short people in mind. I don't mean to be insensitive or mean, but seriously, everything is short! I actually have to bend down a good 1/2 feet to a feet to simply open the door to my partment. The doorknob and keyhole are literally below my hips. The closet, all my dresses touches the floor even though they are all knee length (or maybe shorter).

Lastly, I need help! I can't find sparkling water anywhere in Hong Kong. I have looked through convienence stores like 7-11, grocery stores, and random stands on the streets. No sparkling water, club soda, or l'eau gaseuse! In New York, it was so common place and easy to find that I have developed a strong preference towards sparkling water. Even my alcoholic beverage of choice is vodka soda. What am I going to do here?

2 comments:

  1. oh man yea humidity is so bad! i remember being there last summer in June (granted i had bronchitis and a crazy fever the whole time), but it was soo bad.. it makes me feel fat too!

    and yea chinese ppl <3 japanese things huh? they have cute makeup.. you should post about random things you buy/see hahah.. are you going to get a crazy cool asian phone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. no crazy phones for me. I brought my iphone with me so I'm probably going to unlock it and use it here.

    ReplyDelete