Sunday, January 13, 2013

Of Food and Books

Located on the northern tip of Malaysia, the first thing anyone talks about Penang is the food. In preparation for our trip, we compiled a list of breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, late night and backup food possibilities with distance markers from our bed and breakfast. Food is really good here. We searched high and low, went into residential neighborhoods and hunted down stalls that cannot be found: Rojak King, Penang Laksa, BBQ Wings, Roti Prata, Kaya Toast, Prawn Char Kuay Taow, Beef Noodles, fried oyster omelette, and crazy Indian milk with curry and spice mixed in. While there were impostors that tried to fool us from our end goals, we always made our way to the real stuff thanks to GM's nose.  We followed the food blogs to a teeth and sought after the highly written stalls. They rarely disappointed. My favorite is a tie between the Roti Prata and Penang Laksa.

Before I knew about the food heaven and recruited expert GM to come with, I actually booked my tickets to Penang to attend the Georgetown Literary Festival 2012, where SE Asian authors attended to present in various seminars. The sessions were conveniently scheduled in the later morning and early afternoon so we could fit our food quest in between. Out of the few sessions I attend, my favorite was the Imaginary (Home)Lands. A panel of authors discussing what is it like to be away from home, how to write about a land and make it real, and what does home really mean. That really resonated me given that where home is has been something I've been grasping with since I was a child. It's very nice to know that the authors have same of the same thoughts I have had in my life and are dealing with the same issues. The festival is actually quite well organized and a fun little weekend away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I high recommend to people who just want a quick, fun, relaxing weekend away. Will try to attend next year as well if I'm in the region.





No comments:

Post a Comment