Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Guests in town = fatty time 2

It's always dangerous to have friends and family vesting in Hong Kong. Not only there's the stress of showing them a good time, there is inevitably over-eating, given the amount of good food here in Hong Kong. Last weekend, I had a double threat, with my family and my friend visiting from the US.




On Sat, I went to Chung's Cuisine with my family for Cantonese food. Normally, I'm not a huge fan of canto food but this restaurant was delish. The barbeque meat (including goose) was simply delightful. Everything was cooked simply perfectly. The vegetables were very fresh. The fried rice did not try to entice the consumer through its greasiness, but through the quality of the rice and ingredients plus the perfectly timed degree of cooked for the rice. My favorite, however, had to be the baozi. It's similar to the shanghai xiaolongbao. The skin was so tender and soft with perfectly juiced filings. Overall, it was fabulous and definitely worth a visit. Especially since it's located in the food forum in Time Square in Causeway Bay, a major site to check out for any visitor.



On Sunday, I went to dim sum in City hall with my friend from the U.S. Cantonese Dim Sum is one of the best treat you can have. It rivals with brunch as my favorite eating activity. Carts after carts of deliciousness just come and come and you eat until you can eat no more. The mango sago and mango pudding for desert are key. For dinner, we went to Din tai fung, ( the famous Taiwanese restaurant in Kowloon. The greatest part of Taiwanese food that it is just all the best food in China combined into one. The Xiaolongbao (mentioned previously) are the best and 2 is really not enough for anyone. The vegetables were cooked to perfection as well. Deng tai fung can be found around the world in Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo, and of course, Taipei. And the Hong Kong Branch has just been awarded a Michelin star in December.



Monday was Valentine's day so we wanted to make sure we had a table for our visitor from abroad. When I called Sijie, the Sichuan Private Kitchen in Wanchai, it took me five minutes to convince them that I wanted a reservation for 3 people, not 2 people. The guy even tried to convince me to put a table for 2 and a table for one. This is all in Chinese so I don't' believe it was a language barrier. Anyways, Sijie, located in someone's apartment, is the best Sichuan food I've had before. For 3 people, we can order 2 cold dishes and 4 hot dishes. The Sichuan cold noodles (dan dan mian) are simply to die for. I can just have that and be happy. The pork belly is of exquisite quality. Before the hot dishes even came, we were beginning to feel full. My favorite hot dishes are the Tomato soup with fish (so much fish meat that there were at least a couple of fishes in a huge bowl of food) and Drunken duck. I stuffed myself until I could move no more. The only time I have ever been so uncomfortably full was when I had the pasta tastings meal at Babbo in New York City. This might actually be better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment