Monday, August 1, 2011

Does New York Ever Change?

A friend once told, New York never changes. Since I left New York last July, I felt my world has changed completely: my thoughts on work, my thoughts on career, where I thought I would be now, whom I thought I would be now, what I would have done in Hong Kong, all completely different from what I expected. I have done things I never thought I would, been to more places than I have ever done in the previous 23 years of my life. I have changed more in the past 367 days than I have changed in the two years I was living in New York. I know I will have a blast in New York, but instead of feeling excited to go, I feel anxious. How do you greet an old friend who has changed at all while you have become a completely new person?




Everything in New York has stayed the same. I’m going to restaurant week with my friends on Friday – a restaurant I wanted to try before I left but never had a chance to. I’m going to lunch with the same co-workers, drinks at the same time square bars, and museums with the same friends as I did a year ago. It feels like I will be stepping backwards in time, but seeing everything with whole new eyes. It’s almost an out-of-body experience as I’ve been planning my activities in New York – it’s the same drama with the same people. It’s the same planning process with the same people. By coming back to New York, I have realized how much I have changed. It might not have been for the better, but I have changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment