Thursday, August 11, 2011

New York City - One Year Later

Look at my passport - you'll see that my entry stamp to Hong Kong was July 27, 2010. My first entry back to New York City was exactly 2 days and 1 year later. The funny thing is, nothing in New York has changed. Sure, there is the Book of Mormon, the new hottest show on broadway, and new restaurants spurring up here and there. But overall, New York has not changed. I went to restaurant week at One if by Land, Two if by Sea, a restaurant I always wanted to go but never made time for in New York. I went to brunch, I went to Museum on upper east side. I went to my favorite restaurant next to my old apartment. I went to 745 7th Ave to work. I went shopping at the Banana Republic at the Rockfeller Center and bought clothes. It seems nothing much has changed at all.

I thought about my trip in New York - I realized I liked New York when I lived there, but I have no regrets on moving. If I do it over again, I would do the exact same thing, for my life in Hong Kong has offered me a chance to travel and opened my eyes to different cultures and people, the way my life in New York would have never been able to. In New York, I hung out with the same crowd: work and school. Here in Hong Kong, the people I have met came from all walks of life. They have exciting stories. They have views that I would never have thought of, comprehended before. I have traveled to more places this year than I have in the previous lifetime combined.

I'm glad I returned to New York. It was great catching up with friends. I'm equally glad that I'm in Asia now.

No comments:

Post a Comment