Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Things are different here in Singapore

When I first started working, I needed to take a medical exam and photos for the new job. Standard procedure.  Every firm does it. It makes sense. But in Singapore, they take things to a whole new level.
I went to get my medical checkup. I thought they would just take an urine sample, for drugs. That makes sense. When I went to raffles clinic, I thought I’d be out by an hour. I stayed for at least four. There was an urine sample. Then you got a chest x-ray. Then you had a standard check-up with weigh-in and height. Then there was a blood test, where 4 vials was taken (yikes!). Finally, it came to a doctor’s consultation, where she told me my chest x-rays were clear…. I don’t think I’ve ever had such a comprehensive health check-up. Ever.
That afternoon, I went to a photo studio to get my photos taken for my work pass. I just thought my company didn’t have photo equipment. No big deal. I scheduled the appointment an hour before a meeting. I got in, it was a professional studio. There was a guy who fixed my make-up. A hair stylist who wanted to curl my hair (I told him to leave it straight). I felt like extreme make-over. Granted, the eye make-up was very nice and I wished I knew how to apply it as well as the professional that helped me. Then, the photo shot, the photographer took no less than 500 pictures in over 10 poses! I thought you only needed one for the badge! 

No comments:

Post a Comment