Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Education Security in Hong Kong

I have had a few interactions with testing centers in the U.S. I took the series 7, 63 and GMATs in New York. The security was tough. We had to get our palm printed everytime we entered or exited the testing room. Room had video surviellance. Everything was locked in a locker and the key and your government-issued ID was the only thing allowed on your desk. Security was definitely strict. Here in Hong Kong though, it has all of that plus a whole other level.

I arrived at Pearsons in Central this afternoon taking my Continuing Education for Series 7 and 63. It's a simple training where you can't possibly fail because you would take the modules over and over again until you pass. I walked in and the lady says in an intense manner, "two IDs" please. Turns out, one government issued ID isn't even enough here. You need two. Luckily, I had my passport and was able to produce two IDs. Then, she asked me to sign the agreement on an electronic pad. I did it. But she rejected it, saying "you must sign the exact same way you signed on your passport". I had to sign it 4 times before it was satisfactory to her that it is the same signature. Just when I thought it couldn't get any more secure, she told me to take off all my jewelry, watch, even earring studs because they might contain electronic communication devices in them. Obviously all these Chinese students are capable of getting their hands on James Bond-Level super technologies to pass a standardized test. It was the first time I was without my class ring for over 4 years! Lastly, she asked if I had pockets because if I did, I had to be padded down. Luckily, my dress had no pockets and I didn't have to endure a stranger padding me during an educational session. I don't think the airports in US are this intense. If they were, there would never be a terrorist threat ever again.

This really shows you how seriously education is taken here in Asia. Lesson Learned: don't wear too much clothes/jewelry when you take exams in Asia. Someone just might have to strip search you for any potential cheating tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment