Friday, August 20, 2010

Miu Miu

Call me fashion backwards but I have never heard of the brand Miu Miu before last week. Supposedly, it’s a younger, hipper, but pointedly not less expensive spin off brand of Prada. Maybe I wasn’t paying attention in New York, but I don’t think I have ever seen a Miu Miu bag in the U.S. Walking the streets often, I have seen my share of Louis Vuittons, Chanels, Pradas, Guccis, etc., but I feel like most people had reasonable bags as well: Coach, Marc Jacob, Kate Spade, Dooney & Bourke, etc. Here in Hong Kong, however, it’s a whole new level.

The reason I noticed Miu Miu was that one of the first year analysts in Hong Kong was carrying one the first week. She’s right out of college and young, so I thought Miu Miu was kind of a college girl brand. When I asked her, she seemed shocked that I did not know that it is of the same “stature” as Prada, but for younger, hipper people. It was a very lovely bag so I just nodded, telling her that I never saw it in New York before, maybe it hasn’t hit the streets yet. She follows it up with “it’s right next to the Prada store in Soho, you never seen it before?” At this moment, I am thinking ‘why would I go to the Prada store in Soho? I was a first and second year analyst in New York. There are really much wiser ways to spend $2,000 dollars than a bag.’ I just smiled to her, didn’t know what to actually say. Then she goes on telling me the pressure here in Hong Kong. Turns out, in Hong Kong, everyone must carry a $2,000 bag or else people will look down on you. I carry a Longchamp bag because it’s easy, durable, and practical. But according to my fellow analyst (after she sees my Longchamp bag), she wears Longchamp in New York all the time, but here in Hong Kong, it’s really not up to par. She has to step it up a few notches for the office because everyone has a stylishly expensive bag. Anything less than a Louis Vuitton would be a sin. Plus, you must have many of these stylishly expensive bag to show off how much you make. She pointed me to the receptionists and the assistants, stating that everyone has a ridiculously expensive bag. I did some noticing and that is quite true. My assistant carries a Gucci.

I really do feel for the first-year. She is native in Hong Kong and has lived through this “pressure” her entire life (today she’s carrying a Louis Vuitton). But I just can’t imagine wanting to spend that much money on a purse for the office. Maybe if it’s for a very special occasion, yes. But the office? Who am I trying to impress with my bag? If I have to impress people, I would want to spend it on my clothing or jewelry and not a purse I leave at my desk all day and no one ever sees. Maybe I will succumb to the pressure one day after some time here, but right now, the idea of spending that much on a work bag just seems foolish.

1 comment:

  1. You could use a Miu Miu bag to carry around all your cheese!

    ReplyDelete