Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Business attire

One thing has stood out to me in the office here in Hong Kong – women’s work clothing. At the investment bank I work at, business professional is the dress code. However, when people are not meeting clients, everyone tend to trend towards business casual. That makes sense to me. Ties are uncomfortable. Suit jackets can be stuffy. Happens in NY all the time. In NY, however, there was a standard for business causal. Everyone still looked professional and belonged in a corporation. Here in Hong Kong, the clothing can be much more, creative.

Today, when I was walking into the office, I saw someone wearing cotton cargo shorts and a flow-y, floral-patterned tank top. It’s the equivalent of this top with flowers instead + cargo shorts. http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=FOREVER21&category%5Fname=top&product%5Fid=2072913003&Page=1&pgcount=100

Yesterday, another analyst was wearing a shiny cream top with a puffy purple skirts and bright blue snake-skin heels with a bow on top. I couldn’t help but stare. This ruffled dress is also quite popular with the women here. http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/luella-pink-ruffle-dress I saw similar versions in pink and grey this week.

In a way, I feel very old-schooled and conservative as I am writing this blog entry. I feel that I am actually quite liberal in dress back in the office in New York. I wore bright colors, I rarely wore a jacket, and I probably pushed the business professional line on quite a few occasions. Sometimes, in Hong Kong though, I feel that the attire is not even close to business casual. Some of the clothing are clothing I would wear going out on a Friday. Some of the clothing, I don’t think I would wear just lounging around my house. I don’t mind the clothing because it’s showing skin. Quite opposite, I think people here wear far more clothing than Americans, despite the hot weather. I am just confused on the combination of the clothing everyone is wearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment