Sunday, September 26, 2010

The World of Mixed Martial Arts Fighting

On Friday night, I experienced an event I would have never had the opportunity to experience in New York: Professional Mixed Martial Arts Fighting.

Seriously, I went to watch grown men beat the crap out of each other in a ring. Unlike boxing, mixed martial arts (mma), has very little rules. You can kick, punch, wrestle, etc. etc. There are of course a few generic rules of safety like (don't kick anyone in the head or balls, etc.), but really anything goes as far as this goes. During one of the nine fights displayed, I saw a fighter lift another one upside down and slamming his head on the ground, 3x! I have no idea how he was not paralyzed after all of that. He did leave the ring in a neck brace but seems to still have movement in his limbs.

The fight was actually quite interesting. I usually am not a big fan of violence. Blood tends to make me queasy (and a few of the fights definitely produced a LOT of blood). However, for unknown reasons, I was very intrigued by the thought of men competing with each other without made up rules. I feel the winners of these fights are legitimately great fighters because they can use any techniques. I thought it would make me really uncomfortable (and at the beginning it definitely did). I was oddly and unexpectedly entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment